16 October 2008

You've heard it said that:

“When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” ~John M Richardson, Jr.


I hope none of us will remain content to just sit idly by and let the future happen to us.

That being said, I'd like to make a few comments about the future I see around the corner.

About a year and a half ago, Larry and I started a new tradition for Friday's called "Family Movie Night." Together we have enjoyed introducing many of the classic films we grew up with to our kids... such as Annie, The Sound of Music, Narnia, ET, Star Wars, Karate Kid, and It's a Wonderful Life etc, among others. As all good movies (or stories for that matter) hinge on a contrast between good and evil, war and peace, joy and sorrow; there have arose moments of intensity during a movie when my kids cry out in distress, "What's going to happen?, What's going to happen??" After pausing the movie (or just turning down that scary music), I have always taught them a singular principle: "Don't worry, They'll be okay, The good guys always win- they just have to go through the worst of it before they do." My children have since learned to deal with all those villians and power-seizing "bad guys", and on occasion I've heard them comfort each other with the words, "Don't worry Bailey, the good guys always win".

And so it is, while I have a perfect brightness of hope for our future, I recognize that before the "good guys win" we'll have to go through the pits before we get there.
And with that in mind, I'd like to share a noteworthy article with all my friends, from a source I trust for setting the record straight and making no excuses for either corrupted political party. This link offers many practical suggestions for preparing ourselves to get through what's ahead. And remember, if we are prepared, we'll have no need to fear. So check out Glenn Beck's: What Can I Do to Prepare article, and when the going gets tough, just remember, The Good Guys Always Win!

8 comments:

Our EyreLife said...

What?! Calvin is -6-?! What?! How'd that happen?! That means that Bailey is like 12? And that Azalea is 2? Time for another baby?!

I loved that Catholicvote site. Really cool. Sure love ya! Tell your babies-who-aren't-babies-anymore hello from me!

Prairie said...

Bailey is only 8, and I am sitting on the baby fence, one day the winds blow in one direction, another day in the other...

Sarah said...

You're sitting on the baby fence??!? You know that means Larry will talk you into another one very soon. YAY! I love that article by Glenn by the way. He is so inspiration and I always feel peace when I listen to him. Andy wants him to run for President. LOL
I'm glad I finally found your blog!!! We miss you!

Real said...

The good guys always win in AMERICAN movies. Don't let your kids watch anything foreign. Especially French movies. In them, you always have major characters dying off and the bad guys do win. I think the point is to leave you "thinking" and depressed. ugh.

Jessica O said...

Love this post!

Can't wait to see you next month and catch-up.

Camilla Millar said...

Very thoughtful and insightful Prairie!!

Love ya--and HB, Calvin!

Brandon said...

You did not mention the movie 'mission to mars'. I guess the moral to that is, if your world is about to be decimated you can always seed a future generation on some other planet, like the alien thing said to the human, after going through an elaborate explanation of evolution, "I seeded you." Yes, it looks like the good guys always win and propagate.

Spence and Kath said...

Prairie, I don't know if you will even remember me. I just happened across your blog (random) and couldn't believe it was you. I knew you from Ricks years ago (when you and Larry met and got married) and I am living in Philadelphia with my family as well. We are in the same ward that Roman and Michelle use to live in. I would love to catch up sometime!
Love,
Kathy Bain Lake